Week 4 Lab: Stories and Storytelling

 

Word storytelling with random pop art around it. Source: Callcentre Helper

Links to TED Talks: 
  • The Danger of a Single Story - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 
    • Talked about the stories she read and how different it was from where she lived in Nigeria
    • A single-story can create a stereotypes
    • A single-story is usually incomplete and does not show everything
    • Caught me off guard when she talks about her roommate who said something about her speaking English so well just because she is from Nieria. 
    • Reminds me of implicit bias's, many people need to see that there is not a single-story
    • People need to recognize a "single-story" even the ones they grow up with
  • Imaginary Friends and Real-World Consequences: Parasocial Relationships - Jennifer Barnes
    • I was excited to watch this because I love to read
    • Her assumptions at the beginning were different 
    • The 235,000 years surprised me, made me wonder how many years my hours of reading would add up to. I try to read every day so it would be a lot
    •  It is about spending time with the characters on the page
    • By getting to know the characters what happens to them in the story affects us more than a stranger






Comments

Popular Posts