My Feedback Thoughts

A feedback scale using faces. Source: LuicidChart

The first article that I read was Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback by Tim Herrera in The New York Times. I chose this article because it talks about how we avoid situations or people who give us a negative feedback. When receiving negative feedback it is easy for people to shut down and think "well that is it and I should not try again". I am guilty of being that person from time to time and getting emotional when it happens. I just have to remind myself that it is constructive criticism and I can use it to improve on myself to become the best me. I think some of the best feedback I have received from someone is they said "You are going to make mistakes and I expect you to but I just want you to know that I am never going to judge you for them. We can use the mistakes so that you can learn and grow." That was so helpful because I sometimes see myself as a perfectionist so when hearing that from a professor/mentor person is refreshing. It made me see that feedback on the things I did wrong, my mistakes, can be used positively even if it is negative and harsh. 

The second article that I choose was Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work by John Spencer. I chose this one because of all the stories we will be writing in this class. In the past when starting a creative story I would always end up trashing it because I doubted my abilities to write. So, in this article, it talks about how self-doubt is a natural part of anyone's work and they have to overcome it. The few points that stuck with me were: Don't Compare Yourself to Others, Abandon Perfectionism, Embrace a Growth Mindset, and Set Goals that are within your control. The first two stuck with me because when I start to do something creative like writing I want it to be perfect and I tend to look at others and be like "well mine isn't like that". Then after that mindset, I kind of give up on writing or drawing what I had in mind. This article showed me by comparing yourself you lose sight of what really matters to you. Then the growth mindset stuck with me since we just went over it in this class. I need to look at everything I do with this might not be the best but I can improve on it and keep going. That is where I fall short. Lastly, I need to learn to give me goals that are achievable and in my control. When making goals I tend to go a little too high or optimistic and fall short of it. By doing that I keep reinforcing the self-doubt in me since I can never reach the goal. 



Comments

Popular Posts