My Storybook Favorites


When starting to look through the stories it gave me a sense of direction and ideas for when I write my storybook. They all showed such different aspects of things and was such a wide variety of stories that it was a little overwhelming to see them all. So to find my favorite stories I just looked for anything that stuck out to me in any way. Whether this is just because of the name, pictures, or story topic. For each one there was a different reason that I picked it out. 

First Story: Mythical Monsters of the New World by Brett Drake

The first story that I chose was Mythical Monsters of the New World by Brett Drake. When looking through the stories this stuck out because of the "Mythical Monsters" part of his title, so I decided I would look at it. What sealed the deal was part three of the story, which was about Wendigos. This made me stay because my husband listens to a lot of scary stories about wendigos. The way you read the story was way different than anything that I have read in the past. There were different responses you could do to make the story go in different directions. It makes it way more interesting since I got to actually be apart of it and change the direction that it could have gone. I knew most of the monsters from the story and are familiar with their individual stories but it was nice that he included an author note with them at the bottom. One thing that I did wish was different was the background color. With the background being black and the writing white it made it a little hard for me to read, it put a strain on my eyes.

Wendigo. Source: All That's Interesting

Second Story: Everything is Froggy by Tana Moore

What drew me to this story was the frog with glasses in the introduction, it was just cute. When reading the introduction it made me smile because it is unique. It was written as if the frog is talking directly to its audience explaining what stories it is going to post and how he traveled to find him. It also did a great job of making sure to point out that all of the stories are about frogs and that is why it is called "Everything is Froggy". I love how it has four different stories and Bert the frog has a blog where he posts them so that everyone can see them. I loved that the author used a purplish background with pink writing. It made it so much easier to read than if it was just black or white. I loved how it was still formated in a blog form since that was what the introduction said the stories were for. By doing it that way it made it flow really nice. Out of the four stories that Bert blogged about in Everything is Froggy was The Tsarevna Frog. It was really neat to see that she wrote on Vassilissa's point-of-view and left Ivans out. 

ACEO Frog Prince by Akiko. Source: Art by Akiko

Third StoryWelcome to Wonderland by Samantha Mitchelle

Welcome to Wonderland by Samantha Mitchelle is the last storybook that I found that interested me. This was because it was a take on Alice in Wonderland which is one of my favorite old cartoon movies. I absolutely love the introduction. Just the way it is worded draws you into the story and makes you want to read it. I loved that it was written as though Alice was a patient at a psychiatric place and had multiple personality disorder. Once reading though there was one thing that did not match up with the introduction. In the intro, it mentions that when one of the personalities takes over Alice is not aware and just slips away. If that was the case would she not know what the other personalities say and not respond. That is how I took it but in the second story she answers the Mad Hatter and it surprised me. Overall though it is a great storybook and all the stories she chose work cohesively together in how she wrote it. 

Mad Tea Party by Charles Robinson (1907). Source: Wikipedia





Comments

Popular Posts