Giving Feedback Strategies

 

Smiley face being handed to someone. Source: Energy Resourcing


    I choose this article because I am completing my Social Work Practicum in a school setting. I thought this could be helpful for that and in the future when my child is bigger. During their preschool year, children are still developing who they are and feedback can help them figure that out. This article shows different ways to do this. One way is replacing a generic praise with a process praise. This means that instead of saying "Good job" say "Good job picking up your toys". This shows them exactly why you are giving them the praise so they know their actions can potentially lead to sucess. The next thing it talked about was using "yet". I know many kids who give up and just say "nope, I can't do it" well this suggests saying "You can't do it yet". This helps the children see that they cannot do it right now since they are still learning to do it. I believe both of these will be definitely helpful in my life. I know there have been many times in my life where I have just said "good job" or "yes, you can do it". I can not see how that is not helping kids grow. 


    For this article, I picked it because I tend to fall short in the feedback area. I tend to just want to give people compliments on things when constructive feedback would have been more helpful. This article taught me that there are three different types of feedback: Appreciation, Advice, and Evaluation. I am better at giving appreciation feedback and need to work on the other two. This article also taught me that it is sometimes counter-productive to use two different types of feedback at once. This article just helped me to see that there are different types of feedback and how to use them effectively. 






Comments

Popular Posts